How to backup files without destroying the destination?!

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat May 31 21:51:21 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 08:57 +0200, ml wrote:
> > Instead of just one backup, keep a series of backups on ServerB and
> > sanity-check them periodically.  That way, if ServerA is hacked, you'll
> > have a period of time to notice and recover from a good backup.  To save
> > space, you could use a tool that hard-links unchanged files; my personal
> > favorite is rsnapshot ( http://www.rsnapshot.org/ ).
> >
> So you are basically saying i need to backup my backups? :)

Perhaps you could think of it that way, but I'm not suggesting recopying
any data after it is already on ServerB.  I'm just suggesting copying
ServerA's data to a different destination on ServerB each time so that,
if ServerA goes bad, you'll still have a destination made when it was
good.  To prevent the space usage on ServerB from growing indefinitely,
you could periodically check the latest destination for any corruption
and, if it is good, delete all the other ones.

Matt