Request for exclude syntax assistance

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri May 30 16:47:24 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 13:46 -0500, David Favor wrote:
> I'm baffled by exclude syntax. I'm mirroring CPAN and am trying to
> exclude all files in the src/ directory. I've tried for days to figure
> this out and now throwing myself on the mercy of this list.
>
> Here's my current incantation:
>
>     /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/**' --delete-excluded \
>        --prune-empty-dirs ftp.funet.fi::CPAN /cpan-mirror/
>
> I've tried 'src', 'src/', '*src*', 'src/***'.

> rsync  version 3.0.1  protocol version 30

Your command looks correct.  I can't reproduce the problem: I ran the
exact same command (plus -n) with a rsync 3.0.1 client and the top-level
src directory was excluded from the file list just fine.  Suggestions:

- You might find out something useful by increasing the verbosity to
-vvv.

- Set up an rsync daemon on your computer with a similar directory
structure and see whether the exclude fails in the same way.  If it
fails, there's a problem with your copy of rsync.  If it works, there
may be a problem with the ftp.funet.fi rsync daemon (which processes
your exclude rule) and you should contact its administrator.

Note: if you insist on reminding the list to answer your question,
please do so in replies to the same thread to avoid creating a confusing
thread structure.

Matt