RSync from NAS machine over WinXP with cwRSync to another PC

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu May 15 18:54:40 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 13:11 +0200, Manfred Rebentisch wrote:
> some people want to use the following construction:
>
> they have a NAS machine with an integrated rsync  (may be on embedded linux).
>
> they have a WinXP with cwRsyncServer (with rsync 3.0.2)
>
> and they have on WinXP a network share (i.e. Y:
> == "//192.168.100.123/sharename")
>
> They can use NAS / WinXP with cwRsync to copy files from NAS to a local path
> on the WinXP machine.
>
> But how to configure it, if they want to copy to Y: ?

To copy to Y:, just change the destination of the command to the desired
path beginning with /cygdrive/y .

> They use rsync server on windows with a "secrets file" and the following
> module definition in rsyncd.conf (on WinXP):
>
> [sharename]
> path = //192.168.100.123/path/sub
> read only = false
> auth users = bkupuser
> transfer logging = yes
>
> Is that the right way?

No, since the NAS has its own rsync and the destination share is
available at a local path (/cygdrive/y), there is no need to set up an
rsync daemon (server) on the Windows machine (unless I'm
misunderstanding your setup).

Matt