Should no-tweak mode become the default?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat May 10 21:12:48 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 10:13 -0700, Carl E. Thompson wrote:
> Truly, though,
> it's not really a problem in rsync but in the backup systems that made
> the assumption that rsync's default behavior is appropriate for the job
> they are giving it.

My view exactly.

> If the default won't be changed then it would be good to at least have
> an option that can be mandated on the server (daemon) side to not tweak
> attributes. That way maintainers of existing backup software can fix it
> if they choose.

Right.  I changed bug 5448 to request such a daemon option, and I will
implement it in my repository as soon as I get the time (or you can even
implement it yourself if you like).  In the meantime, you could use a
daemon with your patch, --inplace refused, and max connections = 1 (to
avoid the issues I described in bug 4561 comment 6).

Matt