Forcing a transfer to be one-way from the daemon side?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed May 7 07:02:47 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a secure way to back up a system as root, with rsync
(assume we don't want to kill the bandwidth and want a "snapshot" system
for developers in a way that makes dump, tar, etc impractical.

We've got an ssh key relationship set up and we can force the command to
be rsync --daemon.

The problem here is that while this is not only good for backups, it also
means that anyone (which is still a trusted two people) can transfer a
file IN as root, which moots the whole forced command thing and such.

Is there a simple filter syntax or command switch that says "let them
transfer anything down, but not up?"  I didn't find anything in the man
pages, and the filters didn't seem to be for this kind of thing.

-Dan

--

<Zaren> Christ almighty...  my EYES!  They're melting!

-Zaren, Efnet #macintosh, in response to:

www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Classroom/1944
The WEBSITE DESIGN class that gave my fiancee a D.