writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon May 5 03:44:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 08:12:43AM +1000, Ramkumar Santoshi wrote:
> once i compile rsync, the 'rsync' in the current dir should be ok for this?

Right.

> can you please explain each step from then?

I listed the steps in the prior email, but here they are with a little
more detail:

Enable core dumps, since the default is usually to throw them away:

    ulimit -c unlimited

This affects just the current shell's session.  Then, run an rsync
command that fails and look to see if there is a core dump file in
either the current directory, the source directory, or the destination
directory (the name varies by OS, but is often "core", or "core.1234",
etc.).  If found, load the core file under a debugger, such as gdb, so
that you can look to see how it crashed.  Running gdb takes the program
as the first arg, and the core file as the second:

    gdb rsync /path/core

If you run a back-trace (type "bt"), it will show the stack of functions
to the point where it crashed.  That may be enough to help me find the
problem.