Windows backup API in rsync port?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 31 12:22:16 GMT 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> Windows systems have a great "feature" - even administrators can't
> access files for which they don't have permissions (I'm not talking
> about files exclusively opened, which is something else).
>
> To read files which are normally inaccessible because of insufficient
> permissions, Windows administrator can use Windows backup API.
> Unfortunately, rsync Windows port doesn't seem to use this feature.
>

> There was a similar thread about it 4 years ago - did anything change in
> rsync from this time?
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-February/thread.html#8677

I asked at Cygwin mailing list, and I'm glad to know that this issue is
fixed in the recent snapshots of Cygwin: just replace your cygwin1.dll
library with a recent snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ and
rsync on Windows will be able to open the files where Administrator is
not allowed to.

See the whole thread here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-03/threads.html#00662

Great!