Major rsync issue - overwriting files!!!

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Mar 28 15:20:16 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 00:36 -0700, Nathan Griffiths wrote:
> I'm having a MAJOR issue with an rsync backup script that is actually
> OVERWRITING the files that it should be backing up!

> BAK_PATH="/Volumes/REM Backup/RsyncBackups/REM"
> LINK_DEST="/Volumes/REM Backup/RsyncBackups/REM/Daily/PreviousBackups1"

First, as Jamie and Giuliano suggested, I would get rid of the spaces in
the paths; if you don't want to actually rename the volume, you could
use a symlink (not an alias).  If the script still misbehaves, put "set
-x" at the top to make the shell print out the actual, fully expanded
commands being executed.

Matt