overflow: linkname_len

Brian McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Thu Mar 27 19:21:58 GMT 2008

On 3/27/08 10:08 AM, "Wayne Davison" <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:32:30AM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>> overflow: linkname_len=2751
>
> Is there a symlink with a really long path in that
> filevault/visionpro/release/4.7.2_fedora-LINUX-g/include/libinc dir?
> The name must fit inside the system's MAXPATHLEN, and a link of 2751
> bytes is apparently too long for the receiving system.

Yes, there are links in our software trees that go futher than that one as
well...  I'm just trying to get my data from an FC4 server to a Mac for
backup!

Looking at /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h on the Mac, PATH_MAX is defined at
1024 and then MAXPATHLEN is defined as PATH_MAX.

So, basically from what I can see on this OS, I'm screwed.  I'm really
hoping that you can tell me rsync has a way to get around all this stuff???

I'm using rsync -avlP -e ssh.  I've got the -l on there because I really
need to preserve the links.  But, if you tell me that taking -l off might
mitigate the problem, I'd try it.

I don't know enough about rsync to argue intelligently so I could use some
expert advice here!!!

-brian