Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Peter Heiss pete.heiss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:23:46 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

> I don't know, but here are a few things you can try.  First, confirm
> that the daemon is accepting connections by running "nc localhost 873"
> on the remote machine.  You should see the daemon's greeting, beginning
> with "@RSYNCD".  Then, attempt to the daemon by running
> "nc <remote-server-ip> 873" on the local machine.  If the first command
> works but the second times out, then there is something blocking the
> connection.  The most common cause would be a firewall, but you say
> you've opened the port in the firewall, so I don't know what it could
> be.

I got the daemon back up, but I am getting a new error after going through
the authorizing process. After putting in the password for authentification,
I get the following error:

# rsync -zav --progress realperson@<remote-server-ip>::realperson
/random/file-or-directory/
Password:
@ERROR: invalid gid admins
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1383)
[receiver=2.6.9]

I have "users" set as the gid in my rsync config file. I have also ran rsync
--daemon --config=rsyncd.conf to make sure that rsync was lookin at the
right config file. Do you have an idea why this returning this error, even
though is it otherwise in my config file?

-----
Computers are like air conditioners. They both dont work, if you open
windows.