Installation and configuration of rsync in AIX

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Mar 26 13:16:29 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 18:51 -0700, Moole Rathnakar Reddy wrote:
>       I need help in installing and configuring rsync in AIX 5.3, i
> have tested installing the popt and rsync 2.6.2 in a test test box.
>
> steps I have done on both the systems...
>
>     Installed the popt and rsync. (By default it was installed
> in /usr/bin/rsync)
>    edited /etc/services with line "rsync 873/tcp"
>    edited /etc/inetd.conf with the line
>            "rsync stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd –
> daemon"
>    refreshed the inetd.conf
>    ran netstat -an  and the port is opened for communication
>
> After this i am not able to see the rsyncd.conf and rsyncd.secrets in
> the /etc directory, please guide me to configure the directory and the
> files to be synchronized.

Those files are not created automatically.  If you want to use a daemon,
you have to write them yourself based on the information in the
rsyncd.conf(5) man page.  Probably you'll want to create an rsyncd.conf
on one system with a single module pointing to the directory on that
system to be synchronized.  Then run rsync on the other system to push
to or pull from the module as desired.  Alternatively, you could run
rsync over ssh and not bother to set up a daemon.  See the top of the
latest rsync man page at

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html

for the syntax to push or pull files using a remote shell or a daemon.

Matt