[root@84-45-228-40.no-dns-yet.enta.net: Cron <chris@home> rsync -r --exclude /In/ --exclude /Lirsync error message that I don't understand

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Mar 25 14:29:16 GMT 2008

On Tue 25 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

> > > I don't want some of the options that -a gives me, in particular not
> > > the -D and -l.
> >
> > That's what the -no-* things are for. You could use -a -no-D -no-l
> >
> Maybe, but it's simpler just to put -r, does all I want!  :-)

Well, it'll transfer your files, but it will read and checksum every
file each time you run the rsync command, instead of being able to skip
files that are unchanged. It can't see which files are unchanged as
you're not setting mtime, perms, user/group ownerships.  Hence it's much
more efficient in the long run to use at least the -tpgo options.

Paul Slootman