--no-dirs seem not to explude "d"

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Mar 25 06:10:56 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 09:11:43AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> The notes say to use --no-d, but using it seem not to help, and in
> fact the remote host is still sent the 'd' option:

Yeah, the code was erroneously overriding the --no-d option, so I fixed
that in the latest version (see 3.0.1pre1).  I also added an easier way
to request the backward-compatible "-r --exclude='/*/*'" options by
using a new option:  --old-d.

> Is this expected behavior now ?

The -d option was added in 2.6.4, almost exactly 3 years ago.  There
seems to be a significant amount of 2.6.3 still around (which is 3.5
years old), which is a little sad to see, but I suppose not that
unexpected.

In 3.0.1pre1, rsync tries to detect if the -d option is the cause of a
file-listing failure and suggests the use of the --old-d option to work
around the issue.  Hopefully the public rsync servers will be upgrading
before too long, as there has been a significant amount of security
fixing going on in recent months, and it would be good for them to at
least be running 2.6.9 (with extra security patches), if not 3.0.1
itself.