rsync 3.0.0

Jean-Marc Ranger jmranger at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:09:32 GMT 2008

I know I'm late to the party, but I just had my first encounter with rsync 3 and ... wow !

I'm using rsync to perform local backups to an external USB hard drive.  This is on a (slow) P3 running Debian Lenny.

So...

jmranger at P3:~$ sudo rsync -av /home /media/disk/ --delete

!?! Hey - it's started already (new incremental protocol)
!?! Hey - it's done !!!

For this use case, it feels *incredibly* faster - and I expect that it is too.

I seldom discover new feature in a SW unless I search for them.  In this case, it was impossible to miss - I *jumped* to the changelog to figure out what happened, and found v3.

Congratulations to the whole team !

JMR