Bad habits

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Mar 20 15:52:05 GMT 2008

Stuart,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:33 +0000, Stuart Halliday wrote:
> If they're not on the list why assume they want to be emailed?

If a user asks a question and I answer it, I assume he/she wants to
receive my answer whether or not he/she is on the list.  Is that
unreasonable?

> Why are non members even allowed to post to the list?

Why shouldn't they be?  In my view, subscription to the list just
indicates a personal preference to receive all the mail because one
wishes to either help others or stay informed of rsync-related
happenings.  There's no reason why people who have one question but
aren't otherwise interested in rsync should be forced to subscribe.

> Isn't an open mailing list a blank cheque to email harvesters?

Could you be more specific about your concern?  Spam sent to the list is
caught in moderation and dropped before it goes out to everyone.  The
online list archives obfuscate From addresses properly and don't even
show To or CC addresses.

Matt