Bad habits

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Mar 20 15:08:20 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 13:20 +0100, Daniel Maher wrote:
> Actually, you can post to the list even if you're not subscribed - the
> mail will wait in the moderation queue until an admin releases it,
> however.
>
> Whether the/an admin actually performs this function is still up for
> debate though. ;)

Daniel, you should know: I released your message!  Wayne and I moderate
the list, and the way I understand it, it's entirely an anti-spam
measure, not an attempt to encourage people to subscribe to the list
before posting.  The moderation was only instituted when people started
complaining about spam:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-August/018372.html

In fact, I'm getting sick of having to release multiple messages from
the same person, so I'm thinking of whitelisting people when they send
their first non-spam message.  Wayne, do you think this is a good idea?

Matt