Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Peter Heiss pete.heiss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:04:07 GMT 2008

Now I have a new situation, the linux OS was reinstalled (it crashed after a
bad restart) on the remote linux box where I was working with rsync. I have
reconfigured everything back to the way tit was before and I am now getting
a new error with the following command:

# rsync -zav --progress <remote-server-ip>:/random/file-or-directory
/random/file-or-directory
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
e4:00:85:b2:5b (I deleted a section from this value before posting).
Add correct host key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for <remote-server-ip> has changed and you have requested
strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(453) [receiver=2.6.9]

And when I run the command to access my daemon on the remote server it just
sits there and does nothing for about 2 minutes, and then it drops the
connection with this error. I have enabled rsync on the network services
again through yast and all that. I have checked "/root/.ssh/known_hosts",
and the folder doesnt exist under the "root" directory. I also installed ssl
and the ssl-devel again on the server.

Is there anything that I am missing so far? How can I go about
creating/editing this file so I can get rsync up and running again?

-----
Computers are like air conditioners. They both dont work, if you open
windows.