Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Mar 18 11:21:44 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 03:38 -0700, Peter Heiss wrote:
> So now I have tried the daemon again, and got a password prompt, which is
> better. I edited the "host allow = *" so that it would allow all hosts. But
> I tried at first adding the IP Address of my local router, and it didnt
> work. How can I configure the "hosts allow" field correctly to allow any
> requests from my network. Here is the error that I got:
>

> # rsync -zav <remote-server-ip>::realperson2 /random/file-or-directory
> Password:
> @ERROR: auth failed on module realperson2
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1383)
> [receiver=2.6.9]

Your "hosts allow" is fine; that error message indicates a problem with
the username/password authentication.  Since you set "auth users =
admin", you need to tell rsync to log in to the daemon with username
"admin"; otherwise it will default to using your system username,
"root", which isn't present on the daemon.  Here's the command:

rsync -zav admin@<remote-server-ip>::realperson2 /random/file-or-directory

Matt