Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Peter Heiss pete.heiss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:38:57 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

>> hosts allow = trusted.hosts
>
> BTW, the "hosts allow" field needs to contain the actual list of trusted
> hosts, not the name of a file holding the list.

So now I have tried the daemon again, and got a password prompt, which is
better. I edited the "host allow = *" so that it would allow all hosts. But
I tried at first adding the IP Address of my local router, and it didnt
work. How can I configure the "hosts allow" field correctly to allow any
requests from my network. Here is the error that I got:

# rsync -zav <remote-server-ip>::realperson2 /random/file-or-directory
Password:
@ERROR: auth failed on module realperson2
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1383)
[receiver=2.6.9]

I know that I had the password right, I even checked the rsync.secret file
to double check. Do I have to have an actual domain name in order to give
access to the daemon, or would putting in a IP Address be ok?

-----
Computers are like air conditioners. They both dont work, if you open
windows.