Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Mar 17 14:12:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 05:58 -0700, Peter Heiss wrote:
> Although, I am still having problems with
> the daemon on the remote server. I ran the command "rsync --daemon" on the
> remote server, no error there. But then I ran the following error to do a
> test backup and received this error:
>
> # rsync <server-ip>::/random/file-or-directory/ /random/file-or-directory/
> ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1383)
> [receiver=2.6.9]

> [Realperson Backups]
>         path = /random/file-or-directory
>         comment = for running backups
>         auth users = admin
>         secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

To access something on a daemon, you must express the path relative to
one of the daemon's modules.  The command should be:

rsync '<server-ip>::Realperson Backups/' /random/file-or-directory/

To pull /random/file-or-directory/foo , the command would be:

rsync '<server-ip>::Realperson Backups/foo' /random/file-or-directory/foo

(I'm using single quotes due to the space in the module name, which you
might want to get rid of.)

> I was not sure
> whether or not I needed the second configuration, can I delete it?

Yes, you can delete it.

Matt