Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Fri Mar 14 14:15:22 GMT 2008

> Thanks for your response, I think that I am on my way of getting stuff
> configured here. I still have a couple of questions though. I am also
> using linux with rsync!!! I want to clear up the usage of the
> following command:
>
> rsync --progress -zav -e ssh /random/file-or-directory
> <remote-server-ip-address>:/random/file-or-directory
>
> Does that command mean that I connecting to the remote server and
> coping the desired folder and files,

Yes. Well the contents of the directory not the directory and its contents
due to the missing trailing '/'.

> rsync --progress -zav -e ssh
> <remote-server-ip-address>:/random/file-or-directory
> /random/file-or-directory

Then the opposite happens. Remote to local files are copied. But remember
any extra files in the destination will not be deleted. You need to use
--delete for that to happen.

> I have set up the rysnc daemon successfully on the remote server (I
> think),
> which prompts for the password when I connect. I get the following
> error
> when I run rsync daemon:
>
> # rsync daemon
> rsync: link_stat "/directory-path/daemon" failed: No such file or
> directory
> (2)
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(977)
> [sender=2.6.9]
>
> Is there anything that I still have to configure for the rsync daemon?

read this site:
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/rsync.html

> also get the following error when I run the following command:
>
> # rsync --progress -zav -e ssh /random/file-or-directory
> <remote-server-ip-address>:/random/file-or-directory
> Password:
> building file list ...
> 1 file to consider
> ERROR: cannot overwrite non-directory with a directory
> rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
> main.c(488) [receiver=2.6.8]
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far)
> [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453)
> [sender=2.6.9]

> Is this an error from a lack of rights to the files and folders that I
> want
> to copy? I might have misconfigured my config, I can post it if you
> want.

Forget ssh until you've got it working as plain vanilla Rsync.

Like I said in my 1st posting. Get a working daemon and then list a rsync
folder using a Rsync list command.

Don't do anything else until you've got that working.
You're trying to skip ahead me thinks. :-)

--
Stuart Halliday

This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
http://www.ecs-tech.com/