Group name vs. GID

Mark, Oren oren.mark at intel.com
Thu Mar 13 12:11:28 GMT 2008

Hi,

I use rsync the replicate data between several sites. As far as I know
the default rsync operation is to copy group name and not GID.
I have two sites, lets say A and B with the same GIDs, and one, C, with
different GID. When I replicated data from site A to C it is working
fine - it copied group names and the GID is mapped to the one in site C.
When I rsync the data from site B to C, it is copying files with the
source GID, what causing permissions problem in the destination site, C.

On both A and B I use the rsync daemon version and configuration.

Any ideas what should I look for?

Thanks,
Oren Mark
Intel - Israel Engineering Computing