(cw)rsync 3.0.0 incompatible with 2.6.9

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:02:29 GMT 2008

Hello,

This seems like rather serious issue to me.

I have updated the windows binary for rsync to 3.0.0 (cwrsync), and
now I get the following error:

receiving file list ... rsync: on remote machine: --iconv=.: unknown option
rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at clientserver.c(685) [sen
der=2.6.9]
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(768) [receive
r=3.0.0]

The server is running on Debian stable, so sooner or later people will
start using the new incompatible version before we upgrade the system.
Is manual install of a newer version of rsync on the server really the
only option? On the other hand - if I install 3.0.0 now, then I
probably won't be able to sync from any other server. It seems like
there is no way out of the cycle.

Thanks a lot,
   Mojca