Uppercase directories on windows don't work

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 03:37:51 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm using cwrsync. After a long time of trying to figure out what went
wrong, I have spotted that
     cd Uppercase
     rsync -av rsync://remote/files test
works OK,
     rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/lowercase/test
works OK,
     rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test
works if remote doesn't include any subfolders, but
     rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test
fails in general with something like

rsync: mkdir "/cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test/a"
failed: No such file or directory (2)

The site that has given me the right hint (although not the right
solution - to reformat the disk) was this one:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/55198-rsync-complains-no-such-file-directory.html

Citing the relevant conclusion from that page:

#################################
# One of the errors:
rsync: mkstemp "/media/...snip.../Tex/ANIM/.0047.LXm6rG" failed: No
such file or directory (2)

# The original:
$ ls -a /home/...snip.../Tex/
... ANIM ...
$ ls -a /home/...snip.../Tex/ANIM/
# lots of files are listed

# The copy:
$ ls -a /media/...snip.../Tex/
... anim ...
$ ls -a /media/...snip.../Tex/anim/
. ..

Is it possible to fix that behaviour?

(The second problem is that I have no idea how to compile rsync on
windows, so even if the source is fixed, I still need to get the
binaries from somewhere.)

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca