Deleting modified files

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Mar 10 14:38:56 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:04 +0100, Thomas Poindessous wrote:
> Yes, I try to do the first solution, so I will have the possibility to
> coordinate upgrade on several servers to reduce the differences.
>
> So, do I need to use a option of rsync to list modifications and then,
> rm -f files ? Or is there a quickier and easier solution ?

Just "rm" files (and "rmdir" empty directories) from base/etc that have
counterparts in server/etc/ ; I can't come up with any better solution.

I don't think you need to list modifications because, by virtue of your
--compare-dest option, rsync will only copy files to server/etc/ that
differ from their counterparts in base/etc/ .  (Perhaps you were trying
to handle the case where a file that previously differed among servers
becomes the same, but it's not clear to me how that would have worked.)

Matt