rsync3 universal binary for Mac OS X?

Robert DuToit rdutoit at comcast.net
Sat Mar 8 02:20:30 GMT 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 12:03 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 23:21 -0500, Robert DuToit wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:28 PM, David Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Did anyone ever get rsync3 to compile as a universal binary and work
>>> correctly on both tiger and leopard on ppc and intel?
>>>
>> No. I ended up using two rsyncs, one for PPC and one for intel.
>
> Robert, assuming those two non-universal rsyncs work correctly, did
> you
> try gluing them together into a universal one using "lipo"?

I tried again with fresh rsync3.0 builds for both arch's and lipo's
them together. Tested on PPC Leopard and Tiger, It now shows perfect
score on the metadata test and creation dates ok too! Now waiting to
hear from intel friends. I assume that side will work fine as it did
before.
So we may now have a universal binary rsync for OSX. Great! Not sure
what lipo does exactly as it just seems to double the size of rsync.
Does it just provide both versions inside with  a gate directing the
present architecture to the right one? Rob