Rsync 3.0.0 and Mac OS X

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Mar 5 22:32:05 GMT 2008

Linus,

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 23:21 +0100, Linus Neumann wrote:
> I read your "rsync on Mac" Discussion dated January 2008.
> I would be very thankful if you could help me with the exact same
> problem.

This kind of message should go to the rsync list for archival even if
you have a good guess of who will answer it.

> --iconv=UTF8-MAC,ISO-8859-15

> Linux:
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

You are evidently using UTF-8 on the Linux machine, so your option
should read:

--iconv=UTF8-MAC,UTF-8

Rudolf passed ISO-8859-15 only because he was using that encoding on his
Linux machine.  That value doesn't apply to you.

Matt