update rysnc 3.0 on ubuntu 7

dfirth denys.firth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:24:29 GMT 2008

I am runninng rsync on Ubuntu. It was installed using apt-get install rysnc.
I note that the package has not yet been updated to rysnc 3.0.
I would like to update using the tar but I am confused how to update the
existing installation.
On this machine, I am mainly using rsync to send to a cwrsync server (which
I have updated already). Can I just overwrite the rsync executable?
Any help appreciated. I am not familar with tar installations.
Many thanks