Could you make the 2.6.9 source available via http again?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Mar 4 23:25:12 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 22:56 +0000, Tom May wrote:
> I noticed you've made rsync 3.0.0 available at
> http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync-3.0.0.tar.gz, which is great!
>
> However, until it's upgraded (if ever), the buildroot system I'm using to build
> embedded linux tries to download rsync 2.6.9 from
> http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync-2.6.9.tar.gz, which fails since this file
> is no longer available -- even though it's linked from http://www.samba.org/rsync/!
>
> Could I convince you to make 2.6.9 available again at the above URL?
>
> I realize I could get 2.6.9 by reverse patching from 3.0.0, and could likely get
> it from git, but that's not what the buildroot automation wants.

Tom, the 2.6.9 source package is available at:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/old-versions/rsync-2.6.9.tar.gz

Wayne, this brings up a good point.  It would be nice if each source
package had a "persistent" URL that worked whether or not the version is
the latest, e.g.:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/versions/rsync-2.6.9.tar.gz

You could move "old-versions" to "versions" (with a symlink
"old-versions" -> "versions" for compatibility), pile the 3.0.0 files
into "versions", and create symlinks to them
in http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/ .  Another approach is to use
some mod_rewrite magic to redirect requests for nonexistent files in
http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/ to the appropriate subdirectory.

Matt