Wrong uptodate

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Mon Mar 3 00:48:38 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 3:14 PM
> To: Carsten.Wendland at sigeurope.com
> Cc: rsync at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: Wrong uptodate
>
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 17:43 +0100,
> Carsten.Wendland at sigeurope.com wrote:
> > Rsync claims files to be uptudate, but they are not ...
> >
> > From the log:
> > export/opt/bup/status/1 is uptodate
> > export/opt/bup/status/2 is uptodate
> > .
> > .
> >

> > Source directory (locally on server):
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   28 2008-03-01 22:44 1
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   28 2008-03-01 22:37 2
> > .
> > .
> >
> > Destination directory (nfs share):
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   28 2008-02-29 22:45 1
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   28 2008-02-29 22:42 2
> > .
> > .
>
> Weird.  Those files clearly differ in mtime, so rsync should be
> transferring them.  Perhaps the source and destination being passed to
> rsync are not what they are supposed to be.  Please put "set -x" and a
> "pwd" call at the beginning of the script, run the cron job, and post
> the current directory and actual rsync command line that
> result.  Also,
> what are the absolute paths of the directories that you listed above?
>
> If this information does not reveal the problem, the next
> step would be
> to strace rsync ("strace -f -o /tmp/rsync.strace rsync ...")
> to see what
> files it is accessing and what mtimes it is seeing.
>
> Matt

Also worth checking, particularly when the script works when run
directly and does not work when run from a cron job:
On some systems, the defaults for parameters are empty.
Specifically rsync does not run because it is not in the path
that isn't there. I think it SUCCESSFULLY does not run. Not sure.