RSync on Mac

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Sun Jun 29 22:04:01 GMT 2008

On T 24 Jun, 2008, at 01:53 , Brad Farrell wrote:

> I’m having a heck of a time setting up an RSync server on a mac OS X
> system.  I have run it as a daemon (--daemon) with a configuration
> file and have created a plist file and put it in the launch
> directory.  Still can’t get a connection.  When I run ths ps –E on
> the system, I don’t see rsync running.
>

> Any links to good setup docs?

I suppose it is a launchd question. I see from the rsync man page:

     --daemon
          This  tells  rsync that it is to run as a daemon.  The
daemon you start running may be accessed using an rsync client using
the host::module or rsync://host/module/ syntax.
          If standard input is a socket then rsync will assume that it
is being run via inetd, otherwise  it  will detach  from  the current
terminal and become a background daemon.  The daemon will read the
config file (rsyncd.conf) on each  connect  made  by  a  client  and
respond  to  requests  accordingly.   See  the rsyncd.conf(5) man page
for more details.

If rsync detaches, launchd won't be happy. Have you had a look at how
the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist is written? To see if
there is a problem with the service you should tail -f /var/log/
system.log after giving the command launchctl load /Library/
LaunchDaemons/<your.plist> .

GIuliano