send_files fails to open file not in source or dest

Bit Byte bit2300 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 20:14:40 GMT 2008

I am getting a very strange rsync error:

send_files failed to open
/mydir/another/dir/goes/right/here/finally/crazyfilename.xx-what: No such
file or directory
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

Here's the line I'm using to invoke rsync:

/usr/bin/rsync -acz -e ssh --delete --delete-excluded
remoteguy:/mydir/another/ /mydir/another

The thing that strikes me as so odd is that crazyfilename.xx-what does not
exist in either the source or destination.  (Perhaps off topic, but...
rsync doesn't store any metadata anywhere that persists between invocations,
does it?  Surely not.)

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  Both boxes are CentOS 3.9 running
rsync 2.5.7.

Please cc me on replies as I'm off-list.

Thanks,
bit