OS X xattr troubles (was Re: --exclude patterns)

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 31 05:03:28 GMT 2008

>> I have a similar problem.  I'm trying to specify a custom per-
>> directory filter using
>>
>> 	--filter='dir-merge .rsync-filter-m'
>>
>> but because the whole thing is double-quoted the filter rule
>> arrives in single quotes.  I can't simply leave out the quotes here
>> because the --filter option only gets the first token as its
>> argument.....
>>

> You can use an underscore instead of a space after the "dir-merge".

Thanks, that's solved it.

Now there's a new problem I'd appreciate any help with.  I've just
started out with 3.0.0pre8 on OS X Leopard 10.5.1, patched according
to Mike Bombich's recipe on this list at
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2008-January/019618.html>

I have also run the backup-bouncer test as suggested (using -aHAX and
--fileflags) and obtained results identical to Rob DuToit's.  (Devices
and fifos did not copy with their xattrs but all else was OK - this
may be related to the bug Wayne opened.)

However, trying a local rsync on my own home directory with -X and the
destination set to a directory on a local HFS+-formatted FireWire disk
(actually an iPod) immediately errors out with

[sender] could not find xattr #2 for .
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
xattrs.c(561) [sender=3.0.0pre8]

Things seem to be OK if I omit -X to leave the xattrs out.

Is this a bug or is there something up with my filesystem?  (My
installation's only a month old.)

Tony M.