accurate progress for UI

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Wed Jan 30 11:44:10 GMT 2008

At 06:35 30.01.2008 -0500, Robert DuToit wrote:

>On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Paul Slootman wrote:
>>
>>Do note that disabling the incremental recursion will impact the
>>performance, esp. with a large number of files.
>
>I did some tests (I am becoming the OSX rsync_3 benchmark guy!) and
>for 15GB Home folder, there was only a slight difference in
>performance but see that could grow considerably with larger numbers.
>Without incremental recursion, the initial file count seems to take
>forever, though it catches up a bit after that. The incremental
>backups are almost the same in speed at this size. The one option, I
>mentioned before, that does seem to affect performance is the osx- creation-dates patch. Oddly, it is much slower for the incremental
>backup scans (2+ times) than for the initial full copy, proportionally.

If you have a lot of files then rsync will build up the whole file list in
memory (without incremental). So the memory limit may be more
important than any performance hit. If you leave the decision to the
users you should add a note about this, that for many files they
won't have any other option and that the progress may be a little
off.

bye  Fabi