rsync version executable for Debian

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Wed Jan 30 08:42:36 GMT 2008

On Wed 30 Jan 2008, Chris A Harris wrote:

> I will wait for a Debian package and extract the file; I do
> not have enough experience to compile from source.

You can download an rsync .deb via http://packages.debian.org/rsync
(be sure to select the correct distribution). You can then extract the
contents of the package with:
    dpkg-deb --extract rsync*.deb destdir/
destdir/usr/bin/rsync will then be the executable you want.
Note that you may run into problems with additional shared libraries
that rsync needs, e.g. libacl1, libpopt0; if they're not already
installed, you need to download those as well and get creative with
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Have you asked your hoster whether he is willing to install rsync?
I'm surprised, actually, that rsync isn't already installed. I wonder
how he makes his backups. (There are of course alternatives, but esp.
for a hosting server rsync is very useful.)

Paul Slootman