Prefer -u not to change newer files.

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Mon Jan 28 09:05:09 GMT 2008

On 28.01.2008 02:13, Donald Axel wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:00:10 +0100
> Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms at citd.de> wrote:
>
> > On 27.01.2008 18:45, Donald Axel wrote:
> > > Our network is not very open, so therefore I hesitated establishing an
> > > SVN solution, which should be visible from anywhere. Maybe I could use
> > > my workstation (Linux) and just sync it to a server which is backed up.
> >
> > The short answer to this is: bullshit.
> >
> > SVN has several ways from client -> server.
> >
> > http, https, svnserve (never used it "standalone") and plain old
> > svn+ssh. Or anything else that can provide a binary-safe tunnel, just
> > like rsync.
> >
> > If you use rsync over ssh now, you could also use svn over ssh.
> >
> > So there doesn't has to be anything "visible", whatever that means.
>
> Easy now.
>
> Well the starting point is -u option for rsync. Thank you for your
> info about SVN/SSH (I am not a regular SVN user).

Rsync was of no concern to me. ;-)

And just like you described with the script, i personaly use svn for
N-way updating (3 way currently) and change-tracking of my
/usr/local/bin directory. Works great.

> Visible is just plain old NAT'ting and/or blocking of 22. I wonder how
> the network folks made it, but one of the systems can not see an open
> port on a public accessible server and gets the impression that the
> server refuses connection.
>
> journalistik:~# ssh -p 3389 xxxx.dk
> ssh: connect to host xxxx.dk port 3389: Connection refused

Only one and not all computers from the originating subnet?
That sound more like some sort of a configuration error or a firewall on
the computer itself. (Excluding malicous intent)

Otherwise it's quite normal for a firewalled net. The firewall just
"answers" a TCP-Syn packet with a "connection refused" message and drops
the original packet.

Bis denn