Prefer -u not to change newer files.

Donald Axel donax at ruc.dk
Mon Jan 28 01:13:41 GMT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:00:10 +0100
Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms at citd.de> wrote:

> On 27.01.2008 18:45, Donald Axel wrote:
> > Our network is not very open, so therefore I hesitated establishing an
> > SVN solution, which should be visible from anywhere. Maybe I could use
> > my workstation (Linux) and just sync it to a server which is backed up.
>
> The short answer to this is: bullshit.
>
> SVN has several ways from client -> server.
>
> http, https, svnserve (never used it "standalone") and plain old
> svn+ssh. Or anything else that can provide a binary-safe tunnel, just
> like rsync.
>
> If you use rsync over ssh now, you could also use svn over ssh.
>
> So there doesn't has to be anything "visible", whatever that means.

Easy now.

Well the starting point is -u option for rsync. Thank you for your
info about SVN/SSH (I am not a regular SVN user).

Visible is just plain old NAT'ting and/or blocking of 22. I wonder how
the network folks made it, but one of the systems can not see an open
port on a public accessible server and gets the impression that the
server refuses connection.

journalistik:~# ssh -p 3389 xxxx.dk
ssh: connect to host xxxx.dk port 3389: Connection refused

I hope this can make you a little more happy and confident that not
all stupid questions are bullshit.

--
http://akira.ruc.dk/~donax -- Donald Axel -- http://journalistik.ruc.dk/~donax/weblog