Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Jan 27 12:54:49 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 13:10 +0100, Vitorio Machado wrote:
> For the way of recognizing the OS (pseudo-coded as mac < 10.4), ./
> configure gives target as powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 for 10.3.9,
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0 for 10.4.11. darwinA.B.C represents Mac OS
> X 10.(A-4).B, so I think here is our way to create a flag like
> mac_bellow_tiger. But I don't know how to put this flag in the
> configure script, especially because it seems to be automatically
> generated, so would be better to patch the source than the result. Do
> someone knows how to do that?

The configure script is generated from "configure.in".  It looks like
all you have to do is add an extra test inside the "darwin*" case on
line 892 to check if $host_os matches darwin[4567].* and, if so, define
an additional macro HAVE_PRE_TIGER_OSX_ATTRS.  Then lib/sysxattrs.* can
test "#ifdef HAVE_PRE_TIGER_OSX_ATTRS".

You also need to make sure that the configure script enables "xattr
support" by default (really the 10.3-specific pseudo-xattr support) even
though 10.3 fails all of the tests for the real xattr headers.  Probably
the way to do this is to add getattrlist to the list of functions on
line 555 whose presence is tested and add it on line 920 as one of the
functions whose presence indicates that xattrs are worth a try.

Matt