Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Vitorio Machado v.machado at permanence-informatique.fr
Sun Jan 27 12:10:22 GMT 2008

I've looked at the source of rsync-2.5.5.hfs and unfortunately it
isn't patched the same way. If you are curious about it, just look at
the syscall.c in rsync-2.5.5, in particular code between #ifdef
DARWIN and #endif /* DARWIN */
I can't understand very well the code, but it seems to copy the
ressources fork with system calls to cp command. So I think the best
way of patching is doing what Matt said (using getattrlist instead of
getxattr in 10.3).

For the way of recognizing the OS (pseudo-coded as mac < 10.4), ./
configure gives target as powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 for 10.3.9,
powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0 for 10.4.11. darwinA.B.C represents Mac OS
X 10.(A-4).B, so I think here is our way to create a flag like
mac_bellow_tiger. But I don't know how to put this flag in the
configure script, especially because it seems to be automatically
generated, so would be better to patch the source than the result. Do
someone knows how to do that?

So my documentation phase is ended, I will concentrate my efforts now
on coding something following Matt's example.

Best regards,

Vitorio