Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Jan 26 20:52:10 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 06:36 -0500, Robert DuToit wrote:
> I tried
>
> ./configure --disable-acl-support --enable-xattr-support
>
> and got
>
> `XATTR_NOFOLLOW' undeclared (first use in this function)

Based on the Apple's man page for getxattr [1], it looks like Mac OS X
did not gain support for the standardish xattr API (getxattr, etc.)
until version 10.4.  I'm not sure what API (if any) was provided to
access xattrs before then.  (Google's top result for "mac os 10.3
extended attributes" is this thread; that isn't a good sign.)  Rsync is
unlikely to be able to manipulate xattrs on 10.3 unless we can figure
out what the old API is and add it as another case in
lib/sysxattrs.{c,h} .  (You can try using 10.4 headers, but you'll
probably get a link error that the functions aren't present.)

[1] http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/getxattr.2.html

Matt