I/O errors when backing up from ext3 to UDF

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 19 03:14:38 GMT 2008

Hi.  I'm trying to back up from an ext3 filesystem to an IOMega Rev USB
cartridge drive, which uses a UDF filesystem.  It appears to the system
as /dev/scd0, but can be mounted in R/W mode.

I get a bunch of errors like this:
rsync: mkstemp
"/media/usb/backup_dir/home/support/data-old/clipart/STANDARD/STDDIR3/.PE01617_.WMF.M9ACqm"
failed: Input/output error (5)

There are approximately 2500 files in the directory, all with similar
names.  38 of them copy correctly.  The destination drive is not full.
What else could be causing this problem?

I'm using CentOS 5, which includes:
  rsync  version 2.6.8  protocol version 29
  Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
  <http://rsync.samba.org/>
  Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, ACLs, xattrs,
    symlinks, batchfiles,inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums,
    64-bit internal inums

Thanks in advance,
Paul
--