hang with rsync 3.0.0pre7 doing local copy

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 11 21:21:53 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 07:20:43PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> As far as I can see, all processes are waiting for something to appear
> on the pipes, but no one is prepared to break the silence :-)

Thanks to the core you provided to me, I was able to tell that the
generator had been told that a hard-linked file had been finished by the
receiver, was put on the list of files to receive post-processing
hard-link work, but the generator was was waiting for data from the
receiver instead of handling this list.  I believe I see how this could
happen in some instances where the check_for_finished_files() routine
could return without finishing all the hard-linked files that had arrived
in the queue (which makes the caller think that there is no more work to
do before more I/O from the receiver arrives).

I have checked-in a change that I believe should fix this.  If you could
grab the latest dev source (e.g. form git, the nightly tar, etc.) and give
it a try, I'd appreciate it.