error code 10 when using ::

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Jan 4 13:16:05 GMT 2008

On Fri 04 Jan 2008, Gav.... wrote:

> $ rsync -rtlzv 123.456.789.000::websites /var/local/websites
>
> after about 2 minutes I get :-
>
> rsync: failed to connect to 123.456.789.000: Connection timed out (110)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
> [receiver=2.6.9]
>
> I can ping the server IP address no problem 100%

The "Connection timed out" means that the rsync port on the targat is
unreachable (if the problem was that there was nothing listening on the
rsync port, then you would get "Connection refused" pretty quickly).
As you can ping the IP, then this indicates that there is some firewall
along the route that is blocking the rsync port (873). Hence you need to
resolve the firewall problems.

Paul Slootman