Moved/Renamed Files

Boris Toloknov tlknv at yandex.ru
Fri Jan 4 01:19:56 GMT 2008

Hi,
It seems that rsync transfers files whose names was changed or which
were moved to another directory since the previous synchronization. I
think that ability not to transfer (large) files which are present on
another computer would be very helpful. Right before rsync is going to
transfer some large file it could check if there some other files with
the same size ( and maybe the same mtime ) on the destination computer.
In case if the destination computer has such files then it could be
asked to find the file with given MD5. If it's found then there is no
need to transfer that file. Local copy/rename/move can be performed instead.
I hope that even in worst case when where are many large files with the
same size and mtime it will take relatively small time to perform those
additional steps. Moreover feature could be applied only to large files
with size >= some configurable size.
Thanks.
Boris