Fragmentation on XFS

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Feb 27 21:35:12 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:07:06PM -0700, Rob Bosch wrote:
> If there is 100% match shouldn't it just leave the file as is even if
> the -I option is selected?

The -I option tells rsync to transfer all the files (ignoring any
quick-check time/size matches), so it is expected that it will update
the file at the end of the transfer.  The only other content-verifying
option is -c (--checksum), which takes the time to checksum the source
and destination file before doing a transfer (which will cost more disk
I/O if the file needs to be updated, but save disk I/O compared to -I
if the files are identical).