Fragmentation on XFS

Rob Bosch robbosch at msn.com
Mon Feb 25 21:18:50 GMT 2008

> Was that simply due to writing too-small block to NTFS?  In other
> words, would increasing the size of write() calls have fixed it
> instead, without leaving allocated but unused disk space in the case
> of a user-abort with --partial, --partial-dir or --inplace?

It could have been a function of the block size but I don't think so.  I
never tested the strategies you list.  Under cygwin the posix_fallocate
function is extremely efficient in that it immediately allocates the files
and does no writing, yet still provides a single-extent file if it can be
provided (just like fallocate if supported in the kernel).  Given that
solved the problem I didn't pursue any other alternatives.

Rob