Fragmentation on XFS

Rob Bosch robbosch at msn.com
Sun Feb 24 00:26:03 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 16:43 -0700, Rob Bosch wrote:

>In your patch, you should use fallocate in place of ftruncate.  If your
>glibc is like mine and doesn't provide direct access to fallocate,
>you'll have to use syscall and __NR_fallocate .

I'll run a test with both ftruncate and fallocate using XFS as the target
system.  I have a 75GB file I can test rsyncing across the internal network
to see how it will work.  My Ext3 system is a little smaller so I run some
quicker tests there first (like 2GB).  I'll post the results as soon as the
test is complete.  Thanks for the tips.

Rob