Revised flags patch

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Feb 23 21:19:40 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:04:48PM +0100, Rolf Grossmann wrote:
> I hope you'll like it and include it with the 3.0 release.

I used some of your ideas to revise the patch in a slightly different
way.  I improved the calling of chflags() for transferred files (so that
it is called 1 time per file instead of 3).  I added itemized output for
flag changes and made sure that flag differences will prevent rsync from
hard-linking two files together with --link-dest.

I have also changed the way rsync handles the overriding of immutable
flags.  I never liked that it did this by default, as some people set an
immutable flag to prevent a file from being modified.  Thus, the new
patch has two new flags:

    --force-uchg
    --force-schg

These tell rsync what sort of immutable flags it should be willing to
override in order to delete or update a file.  The first will only
override user-level flags, the latter overrides both user- and system-
level flags.

The resulting patch is now called fileflags.diff (to match the option
name):

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/patches/fileflags.diff

Thanks for your help!  If you have a chance to test this out, let me
know if you find any problems.  I've done some simple tests, and it
seems to be working well so far.