--ignore-existing not as expected

Lasse Kliemann lasse-rsync-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Fri Feb 22 23:42:23 GMT 2008

* Message by -Matt McCutchen- from Fri 2008-02-22:
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:19 +0100, Lasse Kliemann wrote:
> > Is this correct behavior?
> >
> > File `foo' gets overwritten with directory `foo',
> > even though --ignore-existing is given.
>
> I had never thought about this case, but probably --ignore-existing
> should stop rsync from replacing directories with non-directories or
> vice versa.  I will work on a patch for this along with some other
> issues with --ignore-existing and --ignore-non-existing that I have been
> meaning to address.

It would be nice to have an option to express: "never delete anything on the
receiver, no matter what". It does not have to be via --ignore-existing, but
I could not find anything else in that direction.

If there is no application for the current behavior of --ignore-existing,
then maybe just change it, like you suggest.

Thanks for your efforts.