rsync displays an number of errors when rysncing on gentoo

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 21 04:48:20 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 22:17 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > Mike, I don't share your apparent assumption that emerge-webrsync is
> > > intrinsically less buggy than rsync.  In any case, I can only answer
> > > for the behavior of rsync itself, so I need to know the actual rsync
> > > command line.  The one you gave isn't consistent with the error
> > > message, in which the absolute path of the missing file doesn't have a
> > > component of the form "snapshot-xxxxxxxx".
> >
> > please re-read the commands i posted.  the rsync is from "."
> > to "/usr/portage".
>
> I don't know what you believe I am overlooking.  Anyway, right now I
> don't see any way your command could result in the error eial saw, and I
> don't see the benefit of spending any more effort on this angle unless
> we get more information from eial.

the unpacked tarball results in a directory named "portage",
not "snapshot-xxxxxxxx".

either way, the "emerge-webrsync" is merely a bash shell script.  you can
easily find it by googling:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/portage/main/trunk/bin/emerge-webrsync
which contains the rsync command i already pasted.

the tarball too is a simple thing which can be found via google:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-20080219.tar.bz2
and verified via md5:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-20080219.tar.bz2.md5sum

the tarball contains no file or link named "180".  either eial has a buggy
filesystem/kernel, or rsync screwed something up, or one of the fixes we
apply in Gentoo (all of which are from rsync upstream) is causing a problem.
it is not the fault of emerge-webrsync.
-mike